Sunday, February 28, 2010

Success w/ shower curtain???



Ok, so I haven'thad any time to post much or really work on my project for the last couple weeks because of work obligations and a sickness I can't beat :( I finally got access to a digital camera though so i'll be able to upload some photos of what I've been working on recently. As time has progressed I'm realizing more and more how challenging my project is and I'm coming up against certain issues that have slowed me down. This has made me realize though that i'm really good at coming up with cool ideas but it's really hard for me to find the time to devote to the project and follow through. I found this cool history book about parasols and umbrellas at the I.U. library and have been looking through it for inspiration/ideas. Like many of our readings thus far in the course, a lot of the book focuses on handmade parasols and craftsman performing their task in a workshop. Parasols in the 18th and 19th century were geared towards women which makes me think about Gelber's reading and elite women's lives in the 19th century. Why were the crafts that many women were creating at home no longer as utilitarian as craft had been in the past? It's important that the umbrellas I will perfect will be made with mostly recycled materials, ie. old frames, fabric, trashbags, etc. I'm trying to send a political message about waste and conspicuous consumption and how it can and should be avoided when necessary. Here's some pics from the book, "Umbrellas and Parasols" by Jeremy Farrell" published in 1985. I've also tried to include some photos (albeit scattered) of my own work so far. I took an old shower curtain and sewed the tips of the frame of an old umbrella to the curtain. I realized as i was doing this that shower curtains or trash bags probably won't work
as the fabric because they tear too easily. This is making it harder for me to decide on a recycled material but we'll see where this goes. -pete






















1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about old outdoor vinyl tablecloths? They might be too thick, but you could probably find some at GoodWill or the Salvation Army . . .

    ReplyDelete