Sunday, February 7, 2010

Progress Report...Umbrellas y garden, etc.

So, I haven't had that much time to put into my projects this week (due to a hectic work schedule), but I've narrowed down what my plans are for this semester. Over the last couple weeks I've been collecting old/broken umbrellas around btown and have been using them as plans for building my own homemade umbrellas. I've got several old golf clubs that i'm going to use for the handles/arms of the umbrellas and have been going to Salvation Army and picking up cheap colorful (bright) raincoats which i'll use as the material for the top of the umbrella. The hard part is finding the right materials to attach the fabric to. Originally I was thinking I wanted to use metal (like most umbrellas) but now I'm planning on using wooden rods/sticks. I'll use wood because I can use a staple gun to smoothly attach the rain coat material. I like the idea of using the golf clubs because
1. They're heavy duty and won't break like a wooden cane might have.
2. When i'm walking with an umbrella I have a tendency to use it sort of like a walking stick and golf clubs have a built in handle.
I'm still struggling to figure out how many branches I should have that attach to the raincoat material as well as the golf clubs...
I'll have pictures uploaded next week when I get a chance to go the library and check out a digital camera. (until then i'm still stuck w/ disposables).
Also, I plan on starting a garden in my backyard this spring. Last year i tried at a different house but I didn't start my seeds indoors and all I could get to grow was basil and cilantro (and my landlord mistakenly mowed over the plants when she was mowing the lawn one day)
I plan on trying to attend at least a couple of those classes the city offers at Banneker Community Center on gardening when I'm not stuck working the night shift.

-pete

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see your photos, Pete. Sounds like an inventive and challenging project. Will you be using the frames of broken umbrellas, or creating them from scratch? How do your projects connect to some of the issues we've discussed in class?

    ReplyDelete