Sunday, March 7, 2010




OK, today really felt like spring weather (esp. w/ the afternoon showers) so I thought I'd try and to start thinking about my plans for a garden over the next few months...I started to grow some basil and cilantro last year at my old house, but my landlord mowed over the plants when she was doing the lawn ARRGH. So far this year I've started a compost pile outside, though it's been so cold most of the material in the pile still isn't really decomposing....i'll have to do more research on this online or ask around town. My parents have always had a garden in their backyard and i've wanted one for a while, it's just been hard for me to find the time. The idea of being able to grow and pick produce as I'm making dinner or a salad for lunch is AweSome! I just hope I can get the soil ready for May 1st. I plan on starting some seeds indoors in my kitchen window over the next couple weeks to get them ready for outside when the last frost is gone. Here's a preliminary list of some veggies/herbs/fruit I want to grow as well as a garden plan for the backyard. Much like the umbrella project I'm working on, this has a lot to do w/ my search for self-sufficiency and moderate waste through my own individual behavior.





1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to grow a garden, but Indiana weather isn't so conducive to it. I'm from northern Indiana, and my mom started an indoor herb garden instead. It's a great idea, and it's really convenient when you don't have to run to the store just to pick up one or two items. I hope the weather stays good for you so you can get started!

    ReplyDelete